Free men are not equal, equal men are not free.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Day of the Dead

No. Unlike the Didacts latest bit, this is not a well written piece on the need for tradition, etc.

Incidentally, despite the name, it also does not indulge in any form of metal, death, or otherwise.

Instead, the title is a clue to the name of the band sufficient to run a train through driven by a coked up engineer, and if you still haven't figured out I'm talking about the Grateful Dead, your loss.

Look, I get it. They're not to everyone's taste. Hell, I'm not a deadhead by any stretch, never saw them in concert, certainly never followed them around, and while I certainly skimmed off my da's liquor collection I actually could tell my Navy recruiter with a straight face that I never smoked pot.

But they have some awesome music, and one of the first CDs I ever bought was because one of the wannabe hippie crowd in college I knew recommended the album to me as one of their better studio works. Since I had liked a lot of his record collection, including Dead bootlegs, excepting the Billy Bragg, I listened to it, and bought it the next time I went to the record store.

I did mention I had odd tastes, right? Rush, Moody Blues, Yngwie Malmsteen, Satriani, Iron Maiden, The Cure, New Order, Merle Haggard, etc....

So, my favorite song off of that album, "Terrapin Station"


No comments:

Post a Comment